Paul Salisbury race to Wooden World History Topic

Paul Salisbury is the PG on my Washington Huskies D1 team in Wooden World. I am creating this thread to track his attempt to become the Wooden world all time leader in both Steals and Assists. This would be a pretty remarkable feat considering there have been 97 seasons played in Wooden and no other player is in the top 25 of both categories.

Salisbury was the #12 PG out of high school in season 94. He has the rare ratings combination of 100 ATH, 100 SPD and 100 Def. He is also aided by the fact that my team plays a full court press defense and fast pace offense. Another factor that is making this run toward history possible is the fact that Salisbury is a terrible shooter (49 PER), which kept him off the radar of NBA scouts and allowed him to play all 4 seasons.

He is a lock to break the steals record. It is really just a matter of how badly he is going to shatter the record. The difficult task is going to be grabbing the assists record. Charles Greene is the current PG as Western Michigan and was the #2 PG out of high school in season 94. He also has tremendous ratings and is also on pace to break the Wooden all time assists record. Greene currently has 600 career assists, 46 more than Salisbury. Salisbury will have to catch and pass Green as well as the current all time assists leader in order to make history.

Here is a look at the current pace numbers.......

Steals
Current Steals Record: 228 by Michael Lucas, Southern Methodist (69-73)
Paul Salisbury current STL total: 222
Estimated Games remaining: 23
Current Steals per game: 3.4
Projected Career Steals: 300.2

Assists
Current Assists Record: 686 by Mike Richards, Idaho State (79-83)
Paul Salisbury current AST total: 554
Charles Greene current AST total: 600
Estimated games remaining: 23
Paul Salisbury current AST per game average: 8.0
Charles Green current AST per game average: 5.5
Paul Salisbury projected career AST: 738
Charles Greene projected career AST: 726.5

Paul Salisbury

Charles Greene
8/4/2017 7:11 AM
My god I wanted Salisbury so bad. Unfortunately your prestige was a couple letter grades higher. His low Perimeter is invaluable because he didn't go EE.
8/4/2017 10:59 AM
Posted by cubcub113 on 8/4/2017 10:59:00 AM (view original):
My god I wanted Salisbury so bad. Unfortunately your prestige was a couple letter grades higher. His low Perimeter is invaluable because he didn't go EE.
I know, in this case it turned out to be a positive. It certainly isn't holding him back from scoring at an efficient rate this season.
8/4/2017 11:19 AM
The season has ended and Paul Salisbury has capped off his career by winning his 2nd National Championship on his 2nd undefeated team. He was player of the year, defensive player of the year and first team All-American. It should be noted that he did NOT receive preseason All-American honors, not even honorable mention.

As for his career milestones, he did indeed break the steals record as predicted. He finished his career with 295 steals, 67 more than the former all time leader. He fell short on his goal to also become the all-time assists leader. To start the season, the all time leader had 686 assists. Salisbury finished his career with 687, but as luck would have it, Charles Greene from Western Michigan, set the new all time record with 754. Salisbury finishes his career 2nd in all time assists.

A few lessons I learned from Paul Salisbury and the Washington team that finished season 97 with a perfect championship season:
  • Great players are not always 5 star recruits
    • Salisbury was a 4 star recruit and was the #12 PG in the country out of high school
  • You don't necessarily need to have a high PER rating to be a great scoring guard
    • Salisbury had a 49 PER and averaged 20.1 PPG his senior season
  • You don't need a team of 5 star players to win a National championship
    • My season 97 Washington team had one 5 star player
    • The roster make up was as follows:
      • Robert Pigott (0 stars) - 3rd team All Pac10
      • Paul Salisbury (4 stars) - National Player of the year & National Defensive Player of the year
      • Johnny Joslin (2 stars) - 2nd team All Pac10 and Honorable mention All-American
      • Craig Joseph (2 stars) - 3rd team All Pac10
      • Tom Sacks (5 stars) - 1st team All-American
      • Branko Murzynski (0 stars) - Honorable mention All Pac10
      • Carlos Petti (4 stars) - Honorable mention All Pac10
      • Josh Garland (1 star) - Honorable mention All Pac10
      • Roy Alberg (3 stars)
      • Lawrence Bickel (4 stars) - Pac10 Freshman of the year
      • Scott Buckelew (3 stars)
      • Rick Zerniert (3 stars)
  • You don't have to have super athletic post players to have a great team
    • My starting bigs both had an 80 ATH rating and my bench bigs had 63, 72 and 79 ATH, respectively
  • Finally, I was reminded it is always better to be lucky than good
    • I did not have to defeat a single #1 seed in route to this National Championship
      • Faced a #15, #10, #6, #5, #4 and #2 seed in the tournament
9/4/2017 10:12 PM
Posted by drichar138 on 9/4/2017 10:12:00 PM (view original):
The season has ended and Paul Salisbury has capped off his career by winning his 2nd National Championship on his 2nd undefeated team. He was player of the year, defensive player of the year and first team All-American. It should be noted that he did NOT receive preseason All-American honors, not even honorable mention.

As for his career milestones, he did indeed break the steals record as predicted. He finished his career with 295 steals, 67 more than the former all time leader. He fell short on his goal to also become the all-time assists leader. To start the season, the all time leader had 686 assists. Salisbury finished his career with 687, but as luck would have it, Charles Greene from Western Michigan, set the new all time record with 754. Salisbury finishes his career 2nd in all time assists.

A few lessons I learned from Paul Salisbury and the Washington team that finished season 97 with a perfect championship season:
  • Great players are not always 5 star recruits
    • Salisbury was a 4 star recruit and was the #12 PG in the country out of high school
  • You don't necessarily need to have a high PER rating to be a great scoring guard
    • Salisbury had a 49 PER and averaged 20.1 PPG his senior season
  • You don't need a team of 5 star players to win a National championship
    • My season 97 Washington team had one 5 star player
    • The roster make up was as follows:
      • Robert Pigott (0 stars) - 3rd team All Pac10
      • Paul Salisbury (4 stars) - National Player of the year & National Defensive Player of the year
      • Johnny Joslin (2 stars) - 2nd team All Pac10 and Honorable mention All-American
      • Craig Joseph (2 stars) - 3rd team All Pac10
      • Tom Sacks (5 stars) - 1st team All-American
      • Branko Murzynski (0 stars) - Honorable mention All Pac10
      • Carlos Petti (4 stars) - Honorable mention All Pac10
      • Josh Garland (1 star) - Honorable mention All Pac10
      • Roy Alberg (3 stars)
      • Lawrence Bickel (4 stars) - Pac10 Freshman of the year
      • Scott Buckelew (3 stars)
      • Rick Zerniert (3 stars)
  • You don't have to have super athletic post players to have a great team
    • My starting bigs both had an 80 ATH rating and my bench bigs had 63, 72 and 79 ATH, respectively
  • Finally, I was reminded it is always better to be lucky than good
    • I did not have to defeat a single #1 seed in route to this National Championship
      • Faced a #15, #10, #6, #5, #4 and #2 seed in the tournament
Post this main forum please. Really great wiriteup
9/5/2017 8:19 PM
Paul Salisbury race to Wooden World History Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.