The concept of promotion/relegation in CFB? Topic

What if each Power5 conference had a Gof5 conference attached to it which would serve as a "feeder"?
Geographically the partners would be:

SEC - Sun
Big12 - CUSA
ACC - AAC
B1G - MAC
PAC - MWC

At the end of each season the Gof5 conference champ would play the last place team from the P5 conference it is affiliated with in a relegation/promotion game. If the Gof5 school wins they get "promoted" to the big time and the loser gets relegated to the feeder group.

Using 2017 standings we'd have seen:

AAC champs UCF vs. 3-9 North Carolina (Pretty sure UCF would have promoted and would be in the ACC this season).
MWC champs Boise vs. 1-11 Oregon St.
MAC champs Toledo vs. 2-10 Illinois
CUSA champs FAU vs. 1-11 Kansas
SUN champs Troy vs. 4-8 Tennessee

If/when teams are relegated/promoted they simply inherit each other's schedules for the next season.

No more cryng about Gof5 not getting a chance in the playoffs. They are no longer eligible for the CFP in this system, but may promote and THEN be eligible. So last season's UCF would likely be in the ACC this season playing NC's schedule. Looking at that schedule, they'd likely still be unbeaten (though maybe not), but would almost certainly be representing the Coastal instead of 4 loss Pitt.

Obviously if it happened, the conferences could choose their own "feeder" conferences, and could potentially "build their own" from among all of the available Gof5 schools. The Gof5 schools could also share in revenue with their P5 partner (a small %, which would likely be more than they get under the current system).

I'd also force the P5 conferences to move to at least 12 teams (all but the Big12 currently have that anyway).
11/21/2018 6:00 PM (edited)
Does this apply to just football or are you banished from the conference in all sports if you lose the football game?
12/3/2018 8:33 PM
title nine says strikeout

lets just go with VC and his black pajama concept. this is original thinking
12/3/2018 8:37 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 12/3/2018 8:33:00 PM (view original):
Does this apply to just football or are you banished from the conference in all sports if you lose the football game?
Football only.

Other sports don't have the absurd and unique potential of ending the season with more than one unbeaten team.
12/4/2018 7:30 PM
I should also mention that I do understand this is something that is not likely to ever be taken seriously, but I do think it would be pretty cool.

What will ultimately happen is the P5 schools will likely form their own subdivision where Go5 schools aren't included at all, except for potential out of conference filler games.
12/4/2018 7:34 PM
That's what I would like to see. Create 3 division I levels. Right now the Go5 teams are playing for nothing.
12/6/2018 10:35 AM
2018 final standings would have produced:

UCF vs Louisville.
UCF likely wins, promotes to ACC and last night we'd have gotten to see ND @ UCF.
9/3/2019 3:14 PM
The concept of promotion/relegation in CFB? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.