How does the sim define save situations? Topic

When you check the box that says, "Use closer in save situations only," how does the sim define a save situation? Does it include multi-inning situations?
3/6/2023 12:38 AM
I believe it defines a save situation the same as MLB does, tying run on deck. But I can tell you for sure that it will bring in your closer in the eighth inning. Mark your closer as 9th inning only if you don't want your closer coming on in the eighth.
3/6/2023 10:50 AM
I'm particularly interested in the 3-inning save.
3/6/2023 11:28 AM
I’ve had guys get 3 inning saves, but as far as I recall they weren’t closers.
They were either Tandem B or Long guys who are still pitching.
I’ve had closers set to get 2 inning saves and that has worked.
3/6/2023 11:34 AM
the only thing that box does is determine whether your closer will get brought into tie games when you're the home team and a save is no longer possible, I don't believe it impacts how early the closer will be brought in.

the sim will bring closers on before the 9th if you have them set to available then, but not as aggressively as in the 9th. for example if another reliever gets the final out of the 8th inning the sim will go to the closer in the 9th even if the other reliever hasn't hit their target pitch count yet. but in the same situation except its the end of the 6th inning and your closer is available in the 7th, I don't believe the closer will be brought on.

3/6/2023 1:44 PM
I don't think I've ever seen Sparky bring in a closer in the 7th inning. Three inning save would require a long reliever with a pitch count sufficient to get through three innings, imo.
3/6/2023 4:14 PM
I am going to test this out now

Setting '16 Kershaw as the closer and available in the 7th inning, we'll see what happens.
3/6/2023 4:33 PM
You can also get a 3 inning save from a Tandem B if you set pitch counts correctly. Of course you couldn’t do that every day.

Joe Wood '14 (R) 100 45 1-1 41 54.1 0.99 .220
obviously he has a bunch of 2 inning saves. I just reset my staffs inning settings to see if I can get some 3 inning saves from him
3/6/2023 4:58 PM (edited)
Posted by 06gsp on 3/6/2023 4:33:00 PM (view original):

Setting '16 Kershaw as the closer and available in the 7th inning, we'll see what happens.
I was thinking along the same lines - just trying to figure out the best strategy to do so, and maybe try to figure out how many IP I should use.
3/6/2023 5:30 PM
Posted by 06gsp on 3/6/2023 4:33:00 PM (view original):

only one game with a save situation so far, we took a 2-1 lead in the top of the 7th. a reliever who'd come on in the 6th stayed in for the 7th and 8th, allowing no runs, until the 9th when he was finally pulled (short of his target pitch count) for the closer

3/8/2023 11:17 AM
Wood has 2 more 2 inning saves, but Sparky won’t put him in till the 8th.
3/8/2023 1:44 PM
The settings for your other pitchers will matter, too. If you're trying to get Sparky to do one thing in particular, you have to eliminate his other choices in those innings by making everyone else a Long Reliever or something. And if other setup guys have their pull settings at 1 or 2, they will stay in later, of course.
3/8/2023 2:32 PM
I Only Use RHS and LHS and MopUp Sparingly if Ever with SparkyAlg as the deciding factor ... I have used before but not recently 1 or 2 or 3 Pitchers 10 15 "5" I just happened to have as Closers coming in the 7th, but just as a thought or experiment more than a strategy ... It seems imo that if you have a 16 Kershaw like pitcher or my favorite Long Relievers and Spot Starters 1992 Cal Eldred or 1886 Frank Gilmore or 1905 Clark Griffith ("New Open" Pembroke Country Day has all 3) with 100-110 IP per 162 games --- and 1905 Clark Griffith has "only" 60 PC with other two 100 or more --- and the Commensurate Salary $3-3.7M approximately and IF they are the lowest OAV (Sparky Criteria and why that is not indeed #OAV I do not know and input someone correct me) and set LRHS 10 55 "4" With Fatigue Factor "85" One (or More in Combination) could possibly have a 4 inning save; but I do not know if that is possible or the right parlance ... Having 3 100-110 IP per 162 games Relief Pitchers then seems somehow better as I find there is more Variability with say a RP with 30 IP/162 ...
3/9/2023 2:29 PM (edited)
I've used guys like the 112 IP Toney and 119IP Nehf as three inning closers. Set them as available in the 7th inning, mark the use closer in save situation only, and they do as intended.
3/10/2023 11:16 AM
I just got an unintentional 3 inning save from a mop up pitcher.
3/10/2023 1:17 PM
12 Next ▸
How does the sim define save situations? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.